Monday, January 28, 2013

Crock Pot Adobo

My husband went on a mini crusade lately, to make two of the dishes that his mother made when he was growing up. One of them was mole, which I'll post later, and the other was adobo.

I had never had adobo before. Apparently it can be made with beef, pork, shellfish, or more popularly chicken. We made it with chicken and in the crock pot. It's a very vinegary and garlicky dish and is great served over rice.

This was a super delicious meal and I loved it. I'm so glad that my hubby introduced me to it. It also made fabulous leftovers! Maybe even better than when it was freshly cooked.



Ingredients:
1 1/3 medium onion sliced (we did a mix of yellow and red)
13 1/3 garlic cloves, crushed
7/8 cup soy sauce
1 2/3 cups chicken broth
7/8 cup vinegar
3 1/3 bay leaves
1/2 tsp pepper
5 lbs chicken pieces

Steps:
Remove skin from chicken and sear all sides quickly on high in a pan of oil.
Place chicken in crock pot, then onions, then the rest of the ingredients.
Cook on low 6-8 hours.

Serve over rice. Pour the liquid from crock pot over the rice, too. Remove the bay leaves before serving.

We also cooked our rice with a chicken bouillon cube in the water. We do this most of the time.





No comments:

Post a Comment