Saturday, January 22, 2011

Dirty rice (crock pot)

I was searching for something to make in the crock pot today. I figured if I made something in it, using the Italian sausage I had on hand, I'd be less likely to bake treats and then eat them all LOL. I found this on 365 Days of Slow Cooking, and adjusted it slightly. 

1 pound Italian sausage
3 cups water
1.5 cups uncooked medium grain rice
1.5 cups chopped onion
1 large green bell pepper, finely chopped
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp crushed red pepper

Brown sausage in skillet. Drain. Place in slow cooker. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 3 hours or until rice is done.

The dish was spicy. It could have used less spice. Perhaps less crushed red pepper. Or milder sausage. It was yummy, but too spicy for children, definitely. I won't even attempt to give it to my 4 year old, but I'll eat it for sure, and I'm sure my brother will appreciate it as well.

This is the Italian sausage I used - generic brand

And this is the rice I used

My helper happens to love bell pepper, and she stole a bite when I was checking the recipe

And this is everything stirred together and ready to cook

Finished product

No comments:

Post a Comment