Friday, January 21, 2011

South Carolina Catfish "Stew" (crock pot)

This ended up more of a "stoup"

I found this recipe online, and decided to give it a try. Here it is as I found it:
1. Layer the bottom of the crock pot with bacon
2. Dice up potatoes, add to pot
3. Add 1 can diced tomatoes to pot
4. Cut 2lbs of catfish into squares, add to pot
5. Dice up onions and carrots, add to pot
6. Add 1 can stewed tomatoes to pot
7. Add cayenne pepper to taste

Add ingredients in layers, and do not stir. Cook for several hours and serve over white rice. 

So, first I layered the bottom of the crock pot with thick cut bacon. I wanted to use the whole package, so I ended up with a double layer.


Then I added the "diced" potatoes. I did some by hand, and did some with a cheap chopper thing. It didn't say how much, so I just did one medium sized russet potato. I decided not to peel because I knew the pieces would be small so I didn't think it'd really matter.


Next I added the diced tomatoes.


And the catfish. It says 2 lbs, but I only had 1 lb on hand as this was a last minute idea. I originally had planned to do something else with it. This resulted in it being more of a soup than a stew, due to the liquid to fish ratio.


As we all know, I don't cut onion so on the step where you add carrot and onion, I just did carrot. This also didn't help it with the soup factor, but I don't mind. I like soup


After that came the stewed tomatoes.


For some onion flavor, I decided to add some dried, minced onion.


And then for the cayenne pepper, I probably used 2 or 3 teaspoons I'm not sure. I just eyeballed it. I think it was a good amount. It gives it some heat, but not so much that Kaylyn can't enjoy it.


The recipe said not to stir, so I didn't. I cooked it on low for about 8 hours.

This is it 3 hours in


And here it is all done


I really like it! Next time I'll get a second pound of catfish in there to make it more of a stew, and I'll try those pre-chopped onions so I don't have to deal with it. I haven't actually eaten it yet, I just tried a few bites. I'm not sure if I'll serve it over rice like the recipe suggested, or just eat it as is.

I liked that it didn't create a fishy scent in our house. My dad can't stand that, and he didn't even know what it was cooking because there was literally fish smell coming from it. That might change when using the correct amount of course, but I was relieved that it didn't stink up the house.

3 comments:

  1. This was sooooo good. I could eat it almost every day. Thanks for dinner babygirl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a beautiful woman...and can cook as well, wonderful combination! I tried the stew with 2lbs of catfish and the onions...DELICIOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks nice. I have some catfish. Might make this for tonight. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete