Friday, January 21, 2011

Pork stoup (crock pot)

My mom group did "soups and stews" as one of it's food challenges, and this was one of my submissions. I wanted to use up some of the pork I had on hand.




Ingredients (my version):

* 2.25 pounds pork boneless loin, cut in 1-inch pieces
* 3 medium carrots, cut in 1-inch chunks
* half cup chopped onion
* 6 cups fat free chicken broth
* 3 small-medium russet potatoes, diced
* half blue container of sliced white mushrooms
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon pepper
* 4.5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
* 4.5 tablespoons butter, softened

Preparation:
Mix all ingredients except flour and margarine in a 4 to 6-quart crockpot.

Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours (or high heat setting 4 hours), or until pork is no longer pink and vegetables are tender.

Combine flour and margarine; stir until smooth. Stir flour mixture, 1 spoonful at a time, into pork mixture until blended.

Cover and cook on high heat setting 30 to 45 minutes longer, stirring occasionally, until thickened.

The way the recipe is originally written, it's supposed to be more of a stew. Less chicken broth. But Kaylyn prefers soups over stews, so I altered the recipe to make it more soupy. She's calling it a "stoup". It was a little bland. It could definitely stand for more salt and more pepper. Probably another spice, but I'm not good with figuring out what to add, I can just say what I'd like more or less with an already included ingredient. Anywho, Kaylyn loved it (though I didn't serve her any mushrooms, as she doesn't like them).

Next time I'm going to include some squash, and more onion.

No comments:

Post a Comment